Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Friendly Visitor Program
The Friendly Visitor program provides outreach to adults who are isolated due to age or disability. This outreach includes socialization and monitoring the client’s needs. The Friendly Visitor helps Jewish Family Service to ensure the strength and survival of the most vulnerable in our community. As a Friendly Visitor, you will gain the opportunity to perform a valuable mitzvah by supporting the work of Jewish Family Service in your community.
- Actively listen, engage and talk with the client. Other potential duties, depending on the client’s needs and the volunteer's abilities, include running errands, shopping, cooking, transportation, gardening, and assistance with various chores.
- Notify the client in advance of any change in regular visit times.
- Identify and inform JFS staff of any client needs.
- Spend one to two hours at each visit, with a minimum of two visits per month.
- A commitment to volunteer for at least six months.
- Interest in working with older adults or individuals with disabilities.
- Reliable, patient and able to engage in active listening.
- Ability to set limits (i.e., if client wants more of you than seems appropriate, or more than you want or are able to give.)
- An understanding of Jewish culture recommended but not required.
- Participation in Friendly Visitor Volunteer Training (approximately two hours).
- Monthly contact with JFS staff to give status updates and report hours.
- Successful completion of application process, including Washington State Patrol and other background and reference checks.
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older.
- Ability to travel to client. (The client will be in the Seattle metro area.)
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: