Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Seattle Asian Art Museum- Volunteer Docent
VOLUNTEER DOCENT at the Seattle Asian Art Museum
Seattle Art Museum connects art to life. SAM strives for its employees, volunteers, and interns to reflect the community it serves. We want to offer opportunities for individuals interested in the arts who bring dynamic backgrounds and perspectives to the docent program. While diversity can embody many characteristics, we are particularly interested in engaging with historically under-represented groups in the museum field.
Purpose and Goals: Docents are in the galleries, leading tours, engaging with visitors and helping SAM in our mission to connect art to life.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a face of the museum and reflect the community. Commit to continuing SAM's work in diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Lead weekly tours for either school groups or the general public. Tour assignments are ongoing for 3-4 months at a time with about 10 hours of additional preparation and training per month.
- Build facilitation skills centering the works of art from the Seattle Asian Art Museum's collection. Docents lead discussions that engage with and honor the lived experiences of participants.
- Demonstrate professionalism and cultural competency on tours, as well as when interacting with visitors, staff, interns, and fellow volunteers.
- Participate in regular training, attend lectures, and access resources to lead thoughtful and accessible tours.
The Seattle Art Museum will consider reasonable accommodations for those applicants with disabilities who may need a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions/duties. Please contact the Human Resources Department for additional information.
TO APPLY: Please visit http://visitsam.org/careers to submit an application and be prepared to upload a document with responses to the following short-answer questions. Respond to each prompt in 100-400 words.
- Why do you want to become a docent at a museum dedicated to Asian art?
- What relevant experience, education , or training would you like to share?
- One of the museum's core values is Equity: We are responsive to cultural communities and experiences, and we think critically about the role art plays in empowering social justice and structural change to promote equity in our society. We are dedicated to racial equity in all that we do.
How do you foster an equitable and respectful space for people and their differences?
- What do you feel is the role of the Seattle Asian Art Museum in the community, particularly in a region with a significant Asian American history?
Deadline: May 19, 2019
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: