The Bridge: Board Training
Learn about the work of volunteer leaders on nonprofit and public boards with our interactive, one-day training!
Since 2004, Seattle Works has trained nearly 200 people every year on the basics of board service through The Bridge: Board Training.
“Great clarification of different types of boards and commitment levels involved - I now am confident I can succeed on a board aligned with my skills, passion, and time.”
– Bridge Graduate '17
“This was the motivation I needed! I have been invited to serve [on a board] and now will happily say yes.”
– Bridge Graduate '16
“I can do this and I want to do this! All day, the class reinforced for me that this is the way I want to help my community.”
– Bridge Graduate ‘15
“[The training] was very helpful. Definitely answered the questions I had about becoming a board member, and whether this would be right for me."
– Bridge Graduate ‘14
The Bridge: Board Training is designed to demystify board service, covering everything from meetings to governance to fundraising strategies.
Who should take the Bridge Board Trainig?
- Individuals who have previously volunteered and are ready to take the next step
- Individuals interested in developing new skills or practicing personal leadership
- Individuals who have been ask to serve on a board but lack the expertise to do so confidently
- Young people who don't see themselves respresented on many Boards
- People of Color whoare underrepresented in organizations that often serve peoople of color
- People interested in being on a board who wouldn't normally be able to afford a training like this- Scholarships availible!
Each workshop in The Bridge: Board Training lets individuals practice new and useful skills and build a sense of community responsibility with a network of peers.
Each session of the workshop is led by a facilitator with professional experience in the field. Following the course, graduates become part of our alumni network, receiving the opportunity to connect with our nonprofit partners seeking board members through events like Board Networking Happy Hour.
Scroll down for upcoming dates.
Hosted from 9am - 5pm
at Impact Hub Seattle
220 2nd Ave South, Seattle, WA
(More seats will be posted in 2019)
$150 Registration Fee
- Nonprofit Leadership: An overview of the nonprofit sector, including the unique position of board volunteers to influence organizational policy and culture to build more effective nonprofits
- Nonprofit and Public Boards: An overview of the nonprofit governance, including the roles and responsibilities of board members, and an overview of city, county, state, and federal boards/commissions
- Introduction to Fundraising: An overview of nonprofit fundraising and the role that boards play in raising funds, including some helpful suggestions and strategies
- Financial and Legal Responsibilities: An overview of how boards supervise financial and legal aspects of nonprofits, with a focus on demystifying the oversight process
- Interactive Board Simulation: An approachable introduction to public speaking, discussion, and navigating board structures
Seattle Works Partial Scholarships
Through the generous support of our sponsors, Seattle Works is able to offer a limited number of partial scholarships (a $100 value) for the Bridge: Board Training sessions. Please complete the Seattle Works Scholarship Application.
Premera Blue Cross Full Scholarships
Premera Blue Cross has partnered with Seattle Works in support of our efforts to increase board diversity and access to board leadership in the local nonprofit community. In recognition of this critical support, Seattle Works will be able to provide twenty full scholarships per session in 2019. This scholarship is specifically meant for those who identify as a person of color, and who would like to explore board leadership. Please complete the Premera Blue Cross Scholarship Application Form.
Want to volunteer your time as a member of our faculty and help facilitate The Bridge: Board Training? Learn more!
Questions? Let us know!
2019 Bridge Board Training dates listed below: